The holidays bring families and friends together, but they can also pose a threat to dogs. Pets should be kept away from holiday food, and pet owners who travel should either move their animals carefully or find suitable arrangements for them at home. Excessive eating at the family feast might be hazardous for people, but it is worse for pets. Fatty meals are difficult to digest for animals. Poultry bones can cause digestive problems for your pet, and Christmas sweets may contain dangerous substances.

Following are things to avoid giving your pets during the holiday period:

1. Garlic and Onion

Thiosulphate is found in garlic and onions, which causes red blood cells to explode in cats and dogs, resulting in hemolytic anemia. Onions have the biggest toxicity risk; even a tiny amount might have serious consequences. Shortness of breath, fatigue, vomiting, and diarrhea are all signs to look out for. Garlic has far less thiosulphate, and it’s debatable whether a pet could consume enough to cause harm. The health benefits of garlic appear to exceed the hazards in small dosages.

2. Grapes, Raisin, Cranberry

Grapes, raisins, and even some types of currants and cranberries have been linked to rapid renal failure in dogs. Even though no one knows why these fruits induce such a terrible response, they are known to be extremely poisonous and should never be fed to your pets.

3. Chocolate

Chocolate is an absolute no-no for your dog. Caffeine and theobromine, which are active components in chocolate, are indigestible to dogs. If dogs get their hands on chocolate, it has been known to cause serious cardiovascular problems.

4. Citrus

Citrus trees’ stems, leaves, peels, fruit, and seeds contain different levels of citric acid, which can induce discomfort and potentially even central nervous system depression if consumed in large quantities. Small dosages, such as eating the fruit, are unlikely to cause much more than slight gastrointestinal discomfort.

5. Coconut and Coconut Water

If Coconut or coconut-based foods are consumed in small quantities by your pets, they are unlikely to cause significant harm. However, fresh coconut flesh and milk must be avoided because they contain oils that can induce stomach distress, loose stools, and diarrhea. As a result, we recommend that you exercise caution while feeding these items to your dogs. Coconut water is high in potassium and should be avoided by your dog.

6. Xylitol

Xylitol is a sweetener that is commonly found in gum, candy, and baked goods. It is very poisonous to pets, resulting in liver failure and death. Also, keep an eye out for Aunt Betty’s pocketbook on the ground. Sugar-free gum, which Fluffy snatched from an abandoned pocketbook, is the most prevalent source of Xylitol poisoning. If you suspect your dog has taken Xylitol, take them to the vet right away!

If your pet eats an item that is dangerous for your pet, call your vet immediately. San Antonio Spray and Neuter Clinic have an experienced team of veterinary doctors.