Spaying and neutering your dog is a process that you need to consider soon after bringing a puppy or dog home. There are a lot of advantages with a few drawbacks for neutering or spaying. Spaying is the surgical process of removing the reproductive organs of the female and is similar to hysterectomy. Neutering is the surgical procedure of removing the reproductive organs of a male, primarily his testicles. Now that you have a sparse idea about both the concepts, you should also have a clear idea about its pros and cons before going to a reliable spay and neuter center in San Antonio.
Advantages of Spaying and Neutering
Let us take a quick look into the pros of spay and neutering as follows.
- The dog will show less aggression towards other dogs. It does not mean that these processes will turn them into docile and peace-loving animals. If they were aggressive before the surgeries, they continue to be so after it also. But this will remove one of the primary reasons for violence.
- According to the studies, male dogs include lesser prostate problems compared to female ones if they have been neutered. Both male and female dogs remain healthier without reproductive organs. Giving birth to new lives is never without risks. They can also avoid cancers related to the reproductive organs.
- The spaying process terminates the heat cycle of the female that might last up to 12 days. This cycle arrives twice a year and has to deal with it for almost one month. It is not easy to keep the male cats away from the female ones for that long. The mess is also very tough to deal with.
- The dogs do not roam much after neutering or spaying. It is predominantly true in the case of male dogs. When they include a testicle, they are always searching for a female dog to mate. Even when they sniff a female dog far away, they can go to any distance to consummate. Female dogs who also have heat cycles will welcome those male dogs with open paws.
- Spaying or neutering also deals with and keeps in check the enormous dog population. Almost 3 to 4 million pets are euthanized each year, and this counting is only for those who are formally documented.
- Neutering and spaying helps to avoid temperament issues, specifically during a cycle.
Disadvantages of Neutering and Spaying
Now coming to the disadvantages of neutering and spaying, these are as follows:
- The surgeries are a bit experience to execute
- Might arise some complications in the process
Spaying and neutering is a significant thing to consider if you have a male or female dog in your home. It is the pet owners’ responsibility to have them neutered or spayed in a reputed spay and neuter center in San Antonio. Any effort to reduce the number of unwanted animals will be considered worthwhile. So it is time to consider these two processes and do your part as a pet owner.